Moved to London in 2013 and started cleaning pans, graduated with a marketing degree in 2017.
I would like to share ten tips for anyone who is moving abroad and wants to learn a new language.
1. Don’t only hang out with people that speak your own language. Despite this sounding obvious, so many people take this comfortable route.
2. Keep a list of new words you learn on a daily basis. You might not remember them all initially, but you will pick up one or two and strengthen your vocabulary.
3. Ask, ask, ask. When you don’t understand just ask, ask, and ask.
4. Set your phone language to your new language.
5. Use the new words you learn so they become a part of your daily use.
6. Watch movies in your new language with subtitles and read books when you can.
7. Take short courses to fasten the process if you need to, and study at home when you can.
8. Don’t be shy. Speak as much as you can and make mistakes, it’s inevitable.
9. Be curious. Curiosity leads to discovery, discovering new things will broaden your cultural and language knowledge.
10. Date a mother-tongue girl or boy ☺️
Hope this will be useful!
Happy Australia Day, everyone!